Every year thousands of people line the harbour at Weymouth to witness this annual Lions event which has become a landmark event for the town. 498 swimmers took the plunge last year, which was a record for us, raising over £20,000 for a whole host of national and local charities.
This year each swimmer will be presented with one of these medals to commemorate the event.
If you would like to take part in this very popular and worthwhile event then BE QUICK NUMBERS ARE LIMITED FOR SAFETY REASONS!
only a very limited number of tickets will be available at the event.
On the day at the event ticket prices will be £10 for ALL swimmers.
Tickets help us cover the increasing costs of running the event safely and efficiently.
HARBOUR SWIMMERS GUIDE
Every year on Christmas Day brave volunteers of all ages come to Weymouth Harbour for the Lions Club annual Christmas Day Harbour Swim. Swimmers wear a variety of costumes from Santa Clause to mankini to simply budgie smugglers.
For safety reasons the event is broken down into groups of up to 50 swimmers. Last year 498 swimmers attended and between them managed to raise over £20,000 for a whole host of national and local charities and good causes. Swimmers are encouraged to raise sponsorship for Weymouth & Portland Lions Club or their own charity.
KEY DATES & TIMES
Thursday 15th November 2018
- 09:00 Online Ticket Sales Open
Sunday 23 December 2018
- 23.59 Online Ticket Sales Close.
For safety reasons the event is limited to an absolute maximum of 500 swimmers.
ONLINE TICKET SALES HAS NOW CLOSED
A limited number of tickets will be available on the day.
Monday 25 December 2018 (Christmas Day)
- 09:45 Registration.
Registration is open to ticket holders only. All swimmers need to be at registration WITH A TICKET to receive their swim band. Please allow enough time to register before the swim.
SWIMMERS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ENTER THE WATER WITHOUT A BAND
- 10:45 Registration closes.
- 11:00 First swim starts
(NOT in the Old Rooms Inn as in previous years)
After you have bought a ticket, online or on the day you will be required to register for a specific class of swim.
At registration you will be asked which one class of swim you wish to enter:
- Family Fun Swim – Open to everyone over 7 years old.
- Junior Swim – Open to children aged 7 to 15 years. (May be accompanied by an adult.)
- Open Swim – Open to everyone over 7 years old.
You will be given a coloured wristband for your swim class.
If you wish to swim with friends or family in the same class then you need to register at the same time.
If you will be getting sponsorship for your swim then please bring the completed sponsorship form to registration where it will be validated with a stamp.
AT THE START
- Swimmers will be called forward by class/wrist band colour into the ‘starters enclosure’
- Swimmers will be marshalled on to the pontoons on the Brewers Quay side of the harbour
- Each swim will have a maximum of 50 swimmers at any time so as not to over load the pontoons.
- The organisers reserve the right to combine swims depending on entry numbers.
What do I do with my clothes, towel etc?
- You can put any clothes, towel etc in to a plastic bag (to be issued) for transportation by boat to the other side of the harbour (or you can simply leave them with relatives or friends).
Cross-harbour boat transport is provided for swimmers clothing and possessions only.
Weymouth & Portland Lions Club accepts no responsibility for the safety or security of swimmers possessions.
- Access to the pontoons will be strictly controlled. Only swimmers with the appropriate colour wristband will be allowed on to the pontoon immediately before the start of their swim.
- When entering the water beware of movements of the pontoons.
- Be aware that especially at this time of the year the water may be extremely cold! Swimmers are advised to dress accordingly.
- Indicate at ANY time if you need assistance.
- It is not advisable to swim if you have been drinking heavily the night before.
- A modular floating beach will be in position at the finish to help you get out of the water. The floating beach is highly buoyant and you should easily be able to crawl out on to it.
- As in previous years, lifeguards and stewards will be on hand to help you leave the water if necessary.
- In the interests of safety, please exit the pontoon and ramp immediately at the end of your swim.
HELP LIONS MAKE SOMEONE’S LIFE BETTER
Throughout every hour of every day, somebody somewhere needs a little help. Even on Christmas Day!
If you would like to get sponsorship on behalf of Weymouth & Portland Lions or another charity or good cause please use JustGiving online or download and print out as many sponsorship forms as you need from the links below.
Don’t forget to let us know at registration how much you raised.
You can also donate when buying tickets for the swim or at the event or you can search for Weymouth & Portland Lions Club on JustGiving.com.
AFTER THE SWIM
- Collect your clothes from the winners enclosure at the top of the ramp.
- Winners Medals will be presented after each competitive swim, as soon as possible after leaving the water.
- Send us your photos! We would love to see them and maybe put them on our website or Facebook.
Please note. Photographs and videos taken on the day may be used by the Lions Club for publicity purposes.
If you would like to contact us regarding the swim please contact email@example.com by email or write to us at:
Weymouth & Portland Lions Club
c/o Hotel Rembrandt,
12-18 Dorchester Road,