On Sunday the Weymouth and Portland Lions Club together with the Purbeck Motocross Club held the 35th annual Weymouth Beach Motocross. The event was an absolutely spectacular success, with 344 brave riders taking part and over 20,000 spectators lining the seafront. As well as achieving a very successful event, many visitors from all over the country were once again drawn into Weymouth “out of season”.
The riders put on a series of very exciting and skilful displays and despite some wind and some rain, overall the warm autumn sunshine meant that everybody enjoyed an excellent day out.
This year we had the most talented line ever seen at this event which included:
• This year’s Dakar Rally winner (Ex Purbeck member) Sam Sunderland, first British rider to ever win that event. Sam won the Expert Class (See picture below).
• The British Women’s Champion Bethany Farmer who also is a Purbeck member.
• Dan Thornhill who has ridden in a round of the World Motocross Grand Prix.
• 16-year-old Charlotte Hall from Weymouth who is currently ranked 5th in the British Women’s Championships and has ridden for the International team.
• Plus 10 riders who have qualified for the AMCA Championships.
Expert Winners Rostrum
Left to right, James Dodd (Third) , Sam Sunderland (First) , Shane Carless (Second) .
Senior Class Results
First – Harry Kimber, Second – Bradley Rowland, Third – Alexander Harvey
Junior Class Results
First – Luke Wicks, Second – Luke Sansome, Third – Mark Morris
16 year old Charlotte Hall from Weymouth.
Motocross is an entirely free attraction and none of it could have happened without the support of our hard-working, unpaid volunteers who deserve a huge pat on the back. We are also very grateful to the members of the public who gave their support, purchased our programmes and made generous donations. All net proceeds from Lion’s events go towards helping needy local families and other good causes. This year we were absolutely delighted that over £3,000 was raised for our charity fund.
The day was rounded off with an impressive awards ceremony where the Purbeck Motocross Chairman, Alf Stern, presented the Lions Club with a cheque for £1,700 , gratefully received by Lions Vice President, Chris Bill.
Our intrepid programme sellers!